November 10, 2021
SolStar Tip Bot is live on Mainnet-beta!
After our initial rollout to testnet and our wildly successful first tip party, we've received lots of positive, encouraging, and exciting user feedback! — Therefore, we're excited to announce version 2 of SolStar Tip Bot on
mainnet. Our Tip Bot allows anyone on Discord to trade and manage cryptocurrency entirely with
Table of Contents
SolStar Tip Bot is live on Mainnet-beta!Getting StartedUsing the BotStep 1: Help commandStep 2: Check your balanceStep 3: Command ArgumentsStep 4: Tipping a UserStep 5: FeedbackAdding the Tip Bot to your DiscordSecurity ModelMeet the FoundersRyan Endacott / 🌞 @RyanEndacott Drew Wetherington / 🧙♂️ @DrewWethDaniel Holmgren / 🕺 dholms.github.ioFeesFAQ
To start using Tip Bot, there are few options:
- Join our amazing Discord community and start using SolStar Tip Bot by typing /star in the #🎉tip-party🎉 channel.
- Invite Tip Bot to your server with this link. Tip Bot only requires only basic permissions that other users already have, like being able to send a messages with an attachment. There is more info about permissions in the security model section.
- Leave our Tip Bot a review: https://top.gg/bot/858879011924738059
Once you're able to DM the Tip Bot, set up is complete!
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter!
Using the Bot
You can use the bot in any Discord channel where you see the Sol Star Tip Bot.
We've designed the bot to be as simple to use as possible. If you ever need help, try
Here is the SolStar Tip Bot user. You can DM it directly.
When SolStar Tip Bot is available, when type
/staras a message a Discord slash command will appear.
Step 1: Help command
/star helpis there for users when they need it, whether you need a reminder or more links for more info.
Step 2: Check your balance
To start, you can request your balance by typing
/star balanceinto any Discord channel where you see the Sol Star Tip Bot.
Footnote: there's a chance you already have a balance from someone tipping you before you use the bot. We enable users to tip other users who haven't used Tip Bot yet by associating a custodial wallet to their discord ID.
Step 3: Command Arguments
A lot of our commands have optional values that can change the behavior of the command.
If you issue a
balancecommand in a server channel, those commands will send you a direct message, unless you change the optional
True- then Tip Bot will publish its response in the channel. This can be useful when a user wants to show another user Tip Bot's responses.
Below is what the
/star balancecommand response looks like when the
publishargument is not explicitly set to
In order to edit arguments you can use the Tab button to edit the next argument or by clicking on the "publish" label.
Step 4: Tipping a User
/star tipis a core feature of the Tip Bot. A typical tip command is shown below consisting of a
userto tip, what token
tickerto tip, an
amountof token, an optional
messagethat can be used to personalize your tip! Lastly, there are 2 cosmetic arguments to change the
template— an easter egg if you will 🤪
Tipping is always published to the channel. You can set up private channels with another user and Tip Bot to privately tip.
messageargument has a limit of 140 characters.
If you are tipping SOL, you can add a
$dollar sign to the
amountargument and we'll do the market conversion for you according to coinmarketcap.com. Example below:
Step 5: Feedback
/star feedbackis there for you to let us know what you think; good or bad! 😇
Adding the Tip Bot to your Discord
Server owners can use this link to add Tip Bot to their Discord.
Join our Discord and DM one of the mods or admins so we can add you to the #server-owners channel and role. We can talk about how your community interacts with Tip Bot, help troubleshoot any problems, or any questions you may have.
SolStar Wallet Overview
When the user first interacts with the Sol Star Tip Bot, we generate a secure wallet for that user in the SolStar backend. The wallet is tied to the user's Discord account, and they are the only one with access to it. Discord has multi-factor authentication available and we would recommend using it to improve security.
In order to tip other users, you will need to load funds into your wallet. You can load funds by sending yourself a Solana SOL or SPL token transaction to the wallet address from
/star balancecommand. Then send funds. Always double check your Solana address.
If you want to use Tip Bot with your Solana wallet you can set
Trueduring tipping and Tip Bot will send you a URL with the Discord user's wallet address pre-filled.
If this is your first time, it is advised to send a test transaction with a small amount.
Our wallets are salted and encrypted with AES-256 and all sensitive requests live on a private service not accessible from the internet.
Meet the Founders
Ryan Endacott / 🌞 @RyanEndacott
- Senior Software Engineer - Loon Mission Control (Google X)
- Full Stack Software Engineer with focus on user experience, distributed systems. Ex-Google, Facebook, Clever.
Drew Wetherington / 🧙♂️ @DrewWeth
- Senior Full Stack Software Engineer at a Y Combinator startup that builds AI Software for marketing and supply chain optimization
- Engineering wizard
Daniel Holmgren / 🕺 dholms.github.io
- Fullstack/P2P/Cryptography Engineer at Fission (https://fission.codes/), building a framework for end-to-end encrypted, distributed, user-controlled filesystems
- Previously, co-founded Axon (http://axon.science/), building a p2p collaboration protocol for scientific data
- Ex-ConsenSys Engineer & Inaugural ConsenSys Academy grad
Transaction fees are $10 per every 1,000,000 tips, or approximately ~$0.00001 per tip.
When sending SPL tokens, there is an additional 0.00203928 SOL rent fee to create a new associated token account for the tip recipient.
Worst case network fee for sending a new SPL token: 0.00204928 SOL or $0.40 at $195.55/SOL
To send SPL tokens the account has to have a nominal SOL balance, which may require sending some SOL to send your SPL tokens.
- My balance is zero
- You haven't been tipped yet. Try running /star airdrop or ask someone to tip you a starting balance.
- What is SolStar tip bot used for?
- We built Tip Bot to make communities more fun. We plan on making the following
- The ability for users to make their own currency for their server
- Leaderboards between servers and leaderboards for users within servers.
- When a user owns 10 tokens they get a special role
- Auto tip, if you appreciate someone's feedback in a Discord channel responding with a certain reaction will auto-tip them
- How do I get SolStar Tip Bot in my Discord?
Please let us know in our Discord what FAQs are important to you.